Liberty Hill Community in McCormick County, South Carolina
Liberty Hill community located in the east central part of the county. Liberty Hill received its name, according to legend, when Patriots raised a first-in-the-region “Liberty Pole” at the site during the American Revolution. During the mid-eighteenth century there was an Indian trading post located on the east side of Cuffeytown Creek just above the present bridge on U. S. Route 378. The business center was located at the intersection of Scott’s Ferry Road and Charleston Road (present Roads S-21 and S-138). Before and after the Civil War, Liberty Hill was a busy commercial center. It included several general stores, two blacksmith shops, two shoe shops, a cabinet shop, a tanning vat, and two tailor shops.
Liberty Hill Academy, boys’ prep school conducted by George Galphin, gained prominence during the antebellum era. Among the students were Governor John C. Sheppard and Senator Benjamin R. Tillman. Liberty Hill Female Academy was built c.1860. John Terry Cheatham was a prominent schoolmaster. Liberty Hill there were four churches. Scots-Irish emigrants organized Cuffey Town Presbyterian Church during the late 1700s. The church was discontinued early in the 1800s. Route 378, 8 mi. east of McCormick.
P.O. Box 938, McCormick, SC 29835
100 South Main St., McCormick, SC 29835
Click for Driving Directions