Plum Branch in McCormick County, South Carolina
Plum Branch got its name from the first church Plum Branch Baptist constituted in 1785, and built near the little stream Plum Branch. The first one-room log building stood at the lower end of the church cemetery. The basic little church had three windows and three doors. It was un-ceiled and had no means for heating. During the ministry of Rev. Farrow one of the greatest revivals in the history of the church was held. Sixty-five new members were added. The impressive baptismal service was conducted in Stevens Creek. All were carried out at one time and there they remained until all were baptized. Dr. James Clement Furman, president of Furman University, presided over the first associational meeting held at Plum Branch Baptist Church September 6 – 8, 1873.
J. Strom Thurmond spoke at the dedication of the present church building held October 17, 1937. More than 500 people attended. In a McCormick Messenger news story in 1916, Plum Branch was described as a thriving and fast-growing town on the C&WC Railroad with an enterprising business population and farmers surrounding it of a high order. The town boasted Plum Branch High School, Methodist and Baptist churches, two blacksmith and wagon shops, several businesses. W. F. Rush and Co., garage, both sale and repair shop and Ford dealer. The Bank of Plum Branch was organized in 1912 with capital stock of $10,000.
The mission of the McCormick County Chamber of Commerce is to provide leadership and vision, programs, projects and initiatives that will promote and serve the community, its businesses and its citizens. We serve the whole county that includes our historic railtowns of Mt. Carmel, Willington, McCormick, Plum Branch, Parksville, Modoc and Clarks Hill.
P.O. Box 938, McCormick, SC 29835
100 South Main St., McCormick, SC 29835
Click for Driving Directions