Mococ in McCormick County, South Carolina
Modoc was called Bountwell until the railroad came through. On February 26, 1882, the name was changed to Modoc.
According to local legend the name Modoc was given by an official of the Augusta and Knoxville Railroad because of the company’s financial difficulties in procuring right-of-way easements for building the rail line through the town. Officials suggested that the local citizens were “scalping” the company. This occurred during the period when the Modoc Indians were on the rampage in Southern Oregon and Northern California.
Hernando de Soto, with a small invading army of Spanish Conquistadors, crossed the Savannah River from Georgia into South Carolina at Pace’s Island on April 17, 1540. 2 mi. southwest of Modoc.
P.O. Box 938, McCormick, SC 29835
100 South Main St., McCormick, SC 29835
Click for Driving Directions